Monday, November 22, 2010

I am a runner...


I have been running for over 6 years. Prior to running, I dabbled in exercise by going to Curves about 3 times a week, but I didn't feel like I was getting much out of it, other than creating a habit. While I was working out at Curves I met one of the trainers who had run a marathon with a charity organization and as a mentor she was seeking other runners or potential runners. It wasn't long before I went to an informational meeting and signed up to raise money for the American Stroke Association and train for my first half marathon run.

I started running long runs with the team. Our first "long" run was 1 mile, then 2 miles, then 3 miles. We increased our mileage by 1 mile each week and once I hit 4 miles every run was my "longest run ever". I wasn't fast, but I felt such a sense of accomplishment when I reported my mileage to my husband every Saturday. He was genuinely amazed, especially when I got to 7 miles and beyond, as those distances were unthinkable. I was training for the 2005 PF Chang's Half Marathon in Arizona but I decided to run the Seattle Half Marathon about a month before the Arizona race. I needed to know I could do it before I got on a plane and flew to Arizona. So I signed up. I ran the Seattle Half Marathon in 2004. I teared up as I heard the Chariots of Fire theme song playing and then I saw the finish line and I knew I was going to make it. Then I saw Joe and the kids cheering for me and it was almost too much. I left for Arizona knowing that I could do it.

After 2 successful races, I was hooked. This half marathon thing is pretty fun. As much as I liked the charity group I was running with, year round fundraising is more than I wanted to commit to. So I started my own Saturday morning long run group. Over the past 5 years runners have come and gone but every Saturday you will find me there. I think of a long run like I would a leisurely trip to a coffee shop with friends. You can get a lot of life figured out in 8-20 miles. You can talk about anything on a run. I've talked with friends about medical issues, relationship struggles and parenting dilemmas. Every topic is fair game on a run. I have shared some of my darkest times and some of my highest highs on the trails with my friends. It's not hard to get together with friends, when you are training for a race, if you do it on the trail. Every Saturday morning you could find me running long with friends until...

We moved to Nicaragua. Eleven days before we moved to Nicaragua, I completed a Half Ironman distance triathlon (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run). I gave myself permission to take it easy, recover from the race and the move. It was a good thing too because it was averaging about 90 degrees when we got here and 95% humidity. I didn't run the first week. The second week I ran once, then I got bronchitis. I felt zapped and decided to take it easy (not run through it like I would at home) and try to get better. It was 4 weeks before I felt well enough to run again. I ran 3 times that week. Then I got a urinary tract infection and was out for a week. Then I ran 1 or 2 times a week for a few weeks, then we visited friends in Jinotega (no running for 2 weeks) then we moved to Matagalpa. I ran twice the first 6 days we were here. Then the next week we went on vacation back to San Juan del Sur and Granada for a week (no running) and then back to Matagalpa. So my running has been less consistent than it ever has been. It's not ideal, but it's OK.

But I am supposed to be training for a race. Before we left for Nicaragua, one of the things that I was really having a hard time saying goodbye to was the Seattle Half Marathon. It's the Sunday after Thanksgiving and a great time of year to be a runner in Seattle (IMHO, I know I have friends who don't agree that running in the wet cold is fun). I did it that first year in 2004 and I have done it every year since. I have run it in the pouring rain, the snow (which turned into pouring rain), and in the most beautiful fall Seattle weather you can imagine. I love that it's hilly and I can run it in long sleeves and a hat. I just love that race! I was really having a hard time "breaking my streak". I can easily see doing this race every year for as long as my legs will go. I remembered that the Seattle Marathon has offered a race for active military serving in Iraq and they run the same day and they get a special shirt and medal. So I picked up the phone and called the Seattle Marathon office. I asked if I paid for the race, if they would let me participate by running in Nicaragua and still getting my shirt and medal. They readily agreed and even offered to mail my medal and shirt to Nicaragua. So I am registered for a half marathon next weekend. My longest "training run" prior to Saturday was 6 miles (and I only ran that far once). This Saturday Joe and I ran 8 miles here in Matagalpa checking out 2/3rd of our race course for next weekend. Man it hurt. I even fell when I tried to run on the "shoulder" and started to twist my ankle and had to crash land. I bloodied my knees a bit too. Fortunately I was upright when we caught site of 3 vultures on the side of the road about a mile later! But there is nothing like the day after a long run and a fall to make you feel old. But next Sunday I will get up early, pack my race food and drink, remember the possible bathroom stops I scoped out this week, and run 13.1 miles. Why?

Because I am a runner! I only truly realized this when I stopped running. Running is part of who I am. I now know that I can take a break from running and still be a runner. I can get injured and take care of myself and still be a runner. I don't need to fear "getting out of the habit". I can take each day in Nicaragua as it comes and still be a runner. I don't really know what the next 6 months will hold for me but I do know that when I get back home, I have friends who are waiting to run with me and they will be patient with me if I am not as fast as I used to be. We will have a lot of catching up to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment