Friday, October 1, 2010

Settling In...







So after having Bronchitis in various stages for four weeks, I am finally up and running, literally. I still have a bit of a lingering cough but I feel like it is out of my chest now. I went for my first run on Monday at 6:30AM. I only made it 2.25 miles and it wasn't pretty but I got my butt out of bed and went for a run. I have to give myself permission to start slowly since I have been sick for 4 weeks and hadn't been on a regular workout schedule since I finished my Half Ironman on August 1st. But I made it out on Wednesday and Friday this week too, logging 3.5 miles each time.

It has been challenging trying to figure out where to run here as San Juan del Sur is a small town and I can go from my house all the way to the other end of the beach and it's only about 1/2 mile! I was talking with our neighbor, Katie, last night about running routes. I told her where I was running and she told me that I should not be running there. Apparently the street I was running on is the "Red Light District" of San Juan del Sur. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary about it but I was running by during off hours I am sure. She gave me directions to another route and described a road I had never seen. I tried it out this morning and I LOVED it! I took a turn down this road that was perfectly paved cobblestone (good roads are rare in SJDS) and it wound through lush green fields with beautiful old trees. I felt like I was looking at the pages of a travel magazine. Not only was this road beautiful, it kept going, and there were few cars (good since there was no shoulder or sidewalk). The route from home and back was just under 3.5 miles. I can easily see doing the loop part twice for extra mileage. It was so cool to discover a route that was longer than 1 mile that I could run and the beauty and serenity of it was just an added bonus.

I am hoping to bring my camera on my run next week so I can post pictures of the new route I found. I am tempted to run down that old route and take pictures there too but probably won't. Check back in a few days if you want to see pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment