Saturday, July 3, 2010

Things get real...


We have now purchased our tickets to Costa Rica (that's where we fly into and take a bus to Nica) and our flight leaves on August 12th. We are now counting down how many more times we get to do certain things; only 1 more book club before we leave, only 3 more long runs on Saturdays with my girlfriends (we are out of town some weekends), only 4 more Wednesdays of Joey playing D&D at the mall with his friends, etc. It's a little sad but I feel so blessed to have so many wonderful friends here that will miss me. It makes me think that they won't forget about me when I'm gone.

We decided to keep our home telephone number and transfer it to Vonage so anyone who is used to calling us can just pick up the phone and call as easily as they can now. The time difference is 2 hours later during Daylight Savings Time and 1 hour later when it's not. I don't know why but that is a bit of a comfort to me. Sometimes it's the little things...

We had our date night tonight and went to a newish Guatemalan restaurant here in Renton. I didn't really know what to expect and was a little nervous assuming that Guatemalan food is probably not all that different from Nicaraguan food and what if I didn't like it. I am trying to adventurous and optimistic because it's good to model for our kids. So I ordered 3 potato and carrot tacos (meat was an option but I don't eat much of it) which were good and turned out to be more like taquitos. I also ordered something (don't remember the name) that was made with pacaya (and exotic Central American vegetable, see photo). I had to ask what it was and our server couldn't explain better than "a vegetable" so he quickly went into the back and brought out jarred pacaya. It sort of looked like squid, but he assured me it was a vegetable. It was dipped in an egg and cooked and then covered in a delicious sauce and sandwiched between 2 yummy homemade tortillas. Once my dish came I found the pacaya to look like shoelaces. Very different but tasty. My 2 dishes came to $5.50 so I was afraid I might leave hungry but that was not my fate. A small dish of tortilla chips, picante sauce and a cup of soup came before our meal. The soup, while I am quite sure was not made with vegetable stock, was really good. It was a simple broth with small chopped onions and red bell peppers and probably cilantro. Joe ordered Pollo en Crema which was different from the Mexican version and tasted very homemade. The rice was good and white, which I was not expecting. All in all it was a good experience. I would like to bring the kids but part of me is afraid that they might not like it and then go to Nicaragua with the preconceived idea that they won't like Nicaraguan food. We had a disastrous trip to the vegetarian Indian restaurant which makes them shy away from Indian food. Joe's idea is to tell them we went to the Guatemalan restaurant, it was really good and not take them. That may just end up being what we do.

So we have much to do before we go, including find someone to "rent" our car while we are gone. We need to get a storage unit and we still have several items to sell before we go, not the least of which is our ginourmous TV and our ginourmous sectional couch and ottomans. Oh yeah and the computer desk, and the entertainment center.....I guess I better stop blogging and get to something more productive. Perhaps my next post will be our empty house....

No comments:

Post a Comment